What is a Dog Park?
The Dog Park is located at Hawthorne Ridge Park in Westland (Hines Drive, west of Merriman Road)
The ideal dog park is a designated, fenced-in area where people can bring their dogs to play and run off-leash. A dog park can be a great place to share and distribute information pertaining to dog care and training. For dog owners with limited mobility, it can be a place to socialize with other dog owners and exercise their dogs.
Why have a dog park?
A report on off-leash dog parks by Portland Parks and Recreation states that "There is a newly identified parks user group: Dogs and their owners. This user group is drawn to parks for open space, fresh air, exercise and socialization for themselves and their pets. Coming to a park is their chosen form of recreation, much the same as jogging or biking. They are legitimate park users."
- Socializes and exercises dogs in a safe environment
- Promotes responsible pet ownership
- Provides elderly and disabled owners with an accessible place to exercise their companions
- Enables dogs to legally run off-leash
- Promotes public health and safety.
Provides a tool for realistic enforcement of dog control laws.
Typical dog park rules:
- Aggressive dogs are not allowed
- Owners are responsible for cleaning up after their dogs
- Dogs should not be left unattended
- Dogs should be up-to-date on vaccinations
- No food is allowed in the park
- Small children are not allowed in the park
- Older children are allowed in the park with a parent.
To see the complete list of dog rules and to obtain a copy of the Dog Park registration form, please visit our Dog Park Forms Page.
For further information on Dog Parks on our local communities please visit detroitdogparks.com.
How Do I...
- Get A Job...
- Apply For...
- Get Documents For...
- Sign Up For...
- Pay For...
- Get Training...
- Learn About...