Norovirus is circulating

published on 1/28/2015
Wednesday, Jan. 28, 2015

Norovirus is Circulating

Wayne County, MI- Wayne County Department of Public Health has identified an increase in the number of gastrointestinal illness reports in recent weeks.

It is likely that a group of viruses that cause gastroenteritis in people, called Norovirus, is responsible for many of the illnesses. Norovirus is highly contagious. It is transmitted by eating contaminated food, by touching surfaces or objects contaminated with virus and then touching the mouth, and by having direct contact with a person who is infected and experiencing symptoms. The virus is found in the stool and vomit of infected people.

Norovirus can cause nausea, vomiting, diarrhea and abdominal cramping. Some people experience headache, low-grade fever, and body aches. Symptoms usually last for 1 to 3 days. The illness can lead to dehydration, especially in young children, older adults, and people with other illnesses. Norovirus illness usually occurs within 24 - 48 hours after the exposure to the virus.

How to prevent norovirus:
• Wash your hands carefully with warm water and soap, especially after using the toilet or changing diapers, and always before eating or preparing food
• Stay home if you are ill
• Do not prepare food for others if you are ill
• Immediately clean and disinfect surfaces contaminated with vomit or diarrhea using a bleach-based household cleaner, as directed on the product label. If no such cleaning product is available, prepare a solution made with 5 tablespoons to 1.5 cups of household bleach per 1 gallon of water.
• Wash soiled clothing and linens immediately on longest washing cycle possible and machine dry

Additional information on Norovirus, cleaning and disinfection of contaminated surfaces and preventing the transmission of illness, can be found by visiting the following links:



Service Assistant

How can we assist?
Ask a question or describe the service or information you're looking for!
I need to pay my property taxes.
How can I contact my commissioner?
How can I report a road hazard?

View All Services